“Yeah, I get that a lot“. Me responding to an acquaintance who admitted she thought I was a bitch…when she first met me.
I’m actually a nice person, sorta. I’m sorta a nice person, but I can’t help some things, or I can help them, and just don’t want to. Annoyance at my city, for what I perceive to be a lack of understanding, has finally reached a boiling point inside of me, and since I can’t come right out and address people one by one, I thought I’d write it here….where no one would read it….then I won’t get into so much trouble, and be banned off the local gossip pages. My Thoughts……Yes, this isn’t going to go over well at all.
- The flowers in Downtown Danville, were provided by a grant or something. The City did not purchase the flowers. I repeat, The….City….DID NOT…purchase the flowers. Now, can we at least agree that the city did not purchase the flowers? As long as we’re on it….
- The City cannot divert the grant money it received for the Downtown Beautification Project (the flowers) to fill a gap in the budget. I like the Fire Fighters too, but Grants don’t work that way…I mean they do for the assholes in Springfield, but here in Danville, if a Grant pays for it, that’s all it can pay for. Now, can we agree that the grant for the Downtown Beautification Project, cannot be spent to fill gaps in the budget? Let’s raise some taxes, get some additional revenue going, then we can pay for the services Danville is demanding.
- You’re mad at a Mayor for allowing Chicago residents to move to Danville, but what you fail to realize is that this is America. We can move anywhere we want. I do not have to write the Mayor, or Governor, or Council of any city (yes I know) in any state, or township and ask permission to move to their community. One, the Mayor cannot grant that permission, and two, (again) it’s America. So, let’s review. Chicago residents, are American, and can move to any community they see fit. They don’t have to ask us, we don’t have to approve them. And as long as we’re on it….
- Section 8 can be used anywhere in the country. It is a HUD program, that’s Housing and Urban Development, and as long as the resident qualifies, and the landlord qualifies, both parties may come together for an agreement to move in. The Mayor cannot give, nor deny, permission for the Section 8 recipients to use what the Feds approved.
- Ah “The Sign”…This one is a little longer, but I’ll try to go slowly. There was a sign in Chicago several years ago, a billboard really, encouraging the recently displaced residents of the now defunct Cabrini Green’s housing complex to move to Danville. Some ill-informed citizen, spread the rumor (and still does) that our current Mayor, put up the billboard in the hopes of receiving kickbacks and to just generally screw with the lives of the citizens of our esteemed town. What really happened is a company, Hispanic Housing Development Corporation, the managing agent and property owner of Vermillion Gardens and Green Meadow (a Section 8 Apartment complex), had some vacancies in their housing complex in Danville. Now, with Section 8, an empty apartment is money lost, so they took advantage of the demolition and encouraged Chicago residents to move here….and move here they did. Danville did not need to give permission, the Mayor (not Mayor at the time) did not receive any kickbacks, Chicago did not pay any kickbacks, and Aliens (as in ET) are not disguised as Chicago residents moving here to probe us. Seriously people, give it a break. You’re just being ignorant now.
- Gambling has been gambling for several years. We don’t have to have a casino to gamble. Just take a quick drive down Rt. 1, or go grab a beer at any fine beer establishment, and you will find the slot machines. Will a casino increase revenue? Maybe…but we have slots and poker already in our fine town….Personally, I want the Riverboat, and I’d appreciate it if you’d stop forcing your values on me, BUT if you insist on continuing to push your “morals” on me, I’m going to talk to you about my faith, my opinions, my values, and my dog….and I swear….I’ll do it.
- Yes, there is crime everywhere. If you think your little corner of the world has been violated, take a walk to Terre Haute, and let them introduce you to Meth. The crime rate has not increased because of race, color, religion nor Chicago, but because Springfield has made employers the enemy of the State…and frankly, there are no manufacturing jobs anymore, I know…I know…the good ole’ GE/GM days, but friends….they’re gone, and you can thank NAFTA…via Clinton…not Trump for that. What do you want? Stop voting blue, or go to Indiana….now they have some jobs.
- One stat, from a page created to opine, does not a fact make. Sorry folks, I know the stats fit within your worldview, I know you want to believe it so you can waive it in the Mayor’s face while calling him vile names, but that’s now how any of this works. Per capita means just that. If you have 10 people in a town, and 8 commit crimes, then yes, your town has an 80% crime rate, however, Chicago and St. Louis trump all day ya’ll…all day, and frankly, our crime has increased (see #7), but to take an OP-ED piece and flail it like Gospel just makes you look foolish. Do your own homework…come back….then we’ll discuss the Scientific evidence behind Essential Oils curing cancer. It’s true…I read it on Facebook.
- Our Mayor is not an idiot, just overwhelmed, but good to know that you’d rather call him an idiot than help. Love that 1st Amendment. Oh, and the whole National Guard thing……Um, Scott can’t do that….the Governor has to do that….and really, be careful what you wish for….very…very….careful.
- I’m embarrassed, ashamed, sad and a little angry, that this community would be so quick to be so judgmental. First, you do not get to decide who is…and is not…a citizen, or resident. You hate Trump for trying to keep the “illegal aliens” out, but are the first ones to get on a Scanner page and approve a Chicago ban….I don’t get you. Now, before you get all jackwaded on me, understand I was making a comparison, not an endorsement of Trump’s Wall, but you don’t get it both ways. You cannot decry what our President is doing, to try to reduce crime (his words), then pontificate a borderline racist comment to keep another American citizen out of what is NOT your city. STOP….you’re embarrassing yourself.
So, My Thoughts. I’m going to have to stop getting all bent out of shape when I read hypocrisies. I always wondered what it was that was going to destroy the human race, and I now know it to be FEAR. Mob actions, by an otherwise “decent” group of people. Hmmm, I think I get how the Holocaust started…Good people became crazed with fear, while others sat back and did nothing. Yep, we’re going to hell…and the thing is…there’s nothing we can do to stop this. Danville is just a snapshot of a much greater problem, and frankly, Trump had nothing to do with it….He’s just a poster boy for a society afraid. Lord, please….have mercy on our souls. Be Blessed.
Remember you set the Tone, you ARE the Example. BE KIND to each other. Show GRACE and MERCY to all those who cross your path today. With your Daily Affirmations complete, enjoy your Monday…..
Disclaimer: I have no problem with people from Chicago….I have a problem….with criminals.